Thursday, July 1, 2010

Opening Salvo

On September 12, 2010, I'll be doing Ironman Wisconsin in Madison. My first time at this iconic distance. After 25 years and hundreds of triathlons, I decided that this is the year, at 51, (52 in USAT years...) to do it. And in I've jumped. As of this post, there are 10 weeks until race day. Between now and then, I'll be doing a 70.3 (half ironman) in Racine, Wisconsin on July 18, (Second time at this distance, last time was 10 years ago) and a sprint in Naperville, Il. on August 8. Everything is a warm-up for Madison. I figured blogging would be a way to chronicle the journey, keep myself inspired, and share the story for anyone interested. I have a fantasy/stretch goal of qualifying for Ironman Hawaii. The Holy Grail of triathlon. I'd need a top 5 finish in my age group to qualify. Last year there were 171 guys in my age group. Top 5. That's a thin slice. Top 3%. If I have my absolute best day I have a shot.

I'm ramping up the volumes. Last week, rode 315 miles. Ran 36. Swam 6k. Integrating speed work as races approach. Had my first race of the season two weeks ago. Batavia sprint. My 6th time in this race. My fastest time yet.


Won age group by 6 minute margin. Placed 12th overall, out of 540 entrants. In other words, I think I might have a shot. If I can bring my A game. If I do qualify, I'll go to Hawaii with Lynn and the kids in 2012. If I don't, I'll likely hang up the ultra distances and go back to having a normal, sane life. Ironman training approaches the time commitment of a 3/4 time job. 20-30 hours a week of training. In order to achieve some level of balance with work and family, I'm taken to early morning workouts. Out training by 4am every day, except on days like last Fathers Day when I rode 120 miles, when I was on the road by 3:15am so that I could get back in time for breakfast with the family. I was back by 10:00. Last Saturday I integrated a 107 mile ride with family time by riding to Tiskilwa, IL, where I met Lynn and the kids at an organic blueberry farm. What a great way to end a long ride! Surrounded by mountains of organic blueberries...Lynn had a goal: Pick 30 pounds before the kids melt down. It was blazing hot, no shade, and Lynn insisted "don't be eating any of them now or we'll never get to 30 pounds!" Right. Don't eat any. (Snarf, snarf, sclorch, schmonch, glaunch, glorch...mmmmmm!) We still got to 31.5 pounds...after getting 28 pounds two weeks earlier. Needless to say our freezers are PACKED.

This week I've been down with a chest infection. Making me nuts. Resisting the urge to get back out and train before my lungs have healed up a bit. I've been here before. Patience.
Long weekend coming up. Going for a ride with two buddies, other 52 year old age-groupers. Both way talented. Doug Morris nationally ranked number 12 USAT. Chris Evans ranked 42.
(I'm ranked 206.) out of 1,979 ranked 50-54 year olds. So fortunate to have these guys to train with, to push me. Chris is generously acting as my coach as well.

1 comment:

  1. Go Rich Go! Sending love and cheers to you from the west! (And keep blogging too!)

    ReplyDelete