Friday, September 10, 2010

Been a while since I blogged. I'm sitting in the bathroom of the hotel at 9:30 in Madison--Lynn and the kids are already asleep. Just got back from the mandatory pre-race briefing. Had some excitement already--Didn't realize the last opportunity to check in ended at 4:00pm today, Friday, and I got to the check in at 3:58. Two minutes later and I wouldn't have been racing as they're pretty rigid about cut off times. (That woulda hurt...)

I'm feeling pretty good about the race. Spent my last hard/intense week of training in Steamboat, CO. Had some really great workouts, including an 80 mile ride up Rabbit Ears Pass, (9,500) on the first day. (Lungs burned pretty good on that one...)


...a 24 mile run that included an ascent of Guardian Mountain. This run was the toughest run I've ever done, including any marathon, or the Double Dipsea in Mill Valley. Between the length, the altitude and the ascent and descent on steep trails, it was tough.


...and a gorgeous 115 mile ride up to Hahns Peak and Steamboat Lake. This ride had the distinction of having the wildest variation of temperature I've ever experienced on a ride: Started out at 6:40 and it was 37 degrees going through the valleys, with no sun. I froze my naked knees off. Then on the way back, crossing some of the valley flats, the temp got up to 95. Stunning near 60 degree temp variation on the same ride.


All there is to do now is rest, organize gear, think about strategy. I'm confident that qualifying is within reach. If I resist the urge to go all out on the bike, I think I have a good shot. Ofcourse the wild card--totally out of my control aspect is who else shows up in the field. Can't control that. All I can do is bring my "A" game, focus, and do my best.

Tomorrow we're taking the kids to do a pre-race fun run. That'll keep 'em busy for a bit. Then it's bike and gear check in, eat a good meal, try to get some sleep, and figure out how to hitch a ride to the start on race morning. (Have to leave the car here for Lynn and the kids, I leave at 4am, and the hotel is 6 miles from the start...)

Well, that's my report. Live, from the bathroom of room 235 of the Courtyard Marriot East in Madison, Wisconsin. By bib number is 2012. (Like the movie, only I don't plan on melting down and cracking to pieces..) So anyone inclined to track my progress on race day, you can go the ironman wisconsin website on Sunday and put my number in the athlete tracker thingie and see how I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment